Apologies for a substantially off-topic post (and if this has been asked by others), but I value your opinion. My wife and I are both Michigan alums (LSA '92 for me), and (Med School '93 for her), and we're fortunate enough to have raised a kiddo who will be afforded some school choices. We live in the Detroit area and are thus "in-state" to Michigan.
My daughter is a prospective Engineering student, and while UM Engineering is the obvious choice for all kinds of reasons, her campus visit to Princeton pretty much blew her away. We knew her chances of getting in were small (she checks no diversity, financial hardship, legacy, pipeline school, or other compelling boxes), and so when she was admitted early action to Michigan Engineering and deferred on her early decision to Princeton, we assumed that was that. And we were happy.
But this past week, we were notified by Princeton that her deferment was actually a positive sign for their general admission process in April, and that she's legitimately on their radar, or she would've been outright denied admission. So she shouldn't lose hope. That was hard to hear since she hoped to either be accepted, or to simply move on.
So now, with Michigan accepting her, it's very difficult to wait another four months. My wife and I have sat down with her, and we believe the Michigan Engineering degree is strong enough that she could create any career path she chose with that background, and that Princeton would only provide a marginal name recognition advantage at the cost of waiting on pins/needles another four months, and then paying $70K/year, compared to Michigan in-state $30K.
So my question to you is simple:
If you got into Princeton and Michigan Engineering, and you lived in-state, which would you choose?
Thanks for your valuable insight.